Dressed up Dresser!

IMG_2970

This dresser was not cute. It might have been at one time with the flowers and what I believe was once clean, white paint. But after years of dust, wear and tear, and stickers, it had undoubtedly lost its appeal. Despite how it looked, it was still functional as a dresser; it just needed a little face lift.

A Fresh Start

The first step was to sand the entire thing. This process was long. It seemed that there were multiple layers of paint to be removed. At the time I started sanding I was worried about scratching the dresser’s surface- so much so that I regretfully insisted on using 120 grit sandpaper. It worked- it just took a long time. With the sole intention of finding out what would have happened had I used a lesser grit, I switched over to 80 grit for the very last drawer. It worked wonderfully (and quickly). It didn’t scratch the surface, and it took the paint off in almost half the time. Obviously I was a little frustrated I didn’t use the 80 grit earlier but I guess it’s a lesson learned!

Once sanded down, both the front of the drawers and the sides of the actual dresser revealed wood underneath the paint. The top of the dresser revealed nothing. Like, actually nothing. I sanded over it time and again, and the white color just got whiter. I still don’t even know what material the top of the dresser is made out of. Oh well!

Prime Time

I ran my hand over the dresser and drawers in satisfaction (whilst singing Santana and Rob Thomas’ 1999 smash hit “Smooth”) and reached for the Kilz Interior Oil-Based Primer. I applied the primer all over and spent the next 60 minutes watching Fixer Upper (so obsessed with that show- I can’t even…) waiting for the primer to dry.

IMG_2868

Paint

Finally, it was time for paint! I wanted to paint the dresser a color that wasn’t too typical (white, black, grey) but also one that wasn’t too loud (bright yellow, orange, hot pink). I went with a light green (which is really no surprise to anyone who knows me–I love all shades of green). Based on recommendations, I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint and Primer in One Simply Sage, and I am very pleased with the outcome.

I ended up applying two coats of paint, and once all was set and dry, I applied Minimax Paste Finishing Wax with a clean cloth to the dresser’s surfaces. The wax helps protect the piece and gives the piece a soft, velvety texture.

The End Result

Finishing off the dresser with new dark metal hardware for contrast, the once dirty, flower-printed piece that belonged in a kid’s bedroom turned into a sophisticated dresser that belongs…well I don’t know where…I don’t have a lot of room in my house. Perhaps it belongs on Craigslist.

Untitled design

 

 

Author

5 comments

    1. Thanks!! The color is nice and I still have quite a bit left over so I’ll probably use it for another project! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: